German 2 English! (Click drop-down, 1st option of ENGLISH ["United Statesian" as yet unavailable] )

My Google Site Translator Panel

Google-Translate-English to German Google-Translate-English to Italian
Google-Translate-English to Japanese BETA Google-Translate-English to French Google-Translate-English to Russian BETA Google-Translate-English to Spanish
Powered by
Grab this widget

06 December 2010

Stacking Functions: Deleted Clip from an Essay

In order to fit a piece to a page limit I decided to ax this section, but wanted to give it new life here, à la deleted scenes on many DVD menus. Probably it was a little too pompous or perhaps not true enough to the prompt. In browsing deleted scenes, I am often struck by some element of the clip which makes it obvious why it would be cut from the film. Perhaps there is some insight shared or some tidbit worth saving, but by and large it's a part of the creative process which better serves society by being placed in the recycle bin rather than put on display as part of the finished product. It's a step up from just tossing it in the trash I reckon, as there must be something in there that can be recycled and repurposed.

"Stacking functions has also been important in my transportation choices. I know that the majority of the trips that I make to anywhere in the city are going to be by bicycle, and thus it is necessary for me to schedule tutoring appointments, work hours, and other events around the knowledge that it can take me up to 30 or 45 minutes to get from one location to the next. It makes the most sense for me to consolidate work within a certain distance, which not only saves me time, but also the energy and stress of having to travel across town multiple times per day. In a car I might not think twice about that wasted energy, but on a bicycle one gains greater respect for distances and the energy it really takes to power transportation from point A to point B."

1 comment:

Aaron said...

I have no idea what a stacking function is, but I liked what you wrote about biking.
Driving a car often means you have to take into account traffic and the time of the day you will be community from place to place, which is not as much of an issue on a bike.
But I agree about the idea that you can waste energy just by having a car as an option for transport, since you are more likely to think about how quickly you need to get somewhere than what it will cost in fuel. If you set up your life for alternative transport, the wasted energy never enters the picture.

BIKES FOR PRESIDENT!!