More of the story (added 22 August, 2011. WARNING: partially unpleasant):
I discovered the sign in a corner on the west side of the PAM, which i/we have been trying to frequent more often of late (<--redundant?
Also, your thoughts on "The PAM" vs. "PAM"?).
At the time I had missed a streetcar which would have made my journey to the PAM much shorter, though would likely have prevented me from encountering the sign. I added this second photograph because it captures a little more of the experience of the find. I noticed the sign from the sidewalk and was interested, and upon crutching over to investigate, my attention was immediately distracted by the strong smell of urine. It had been a long time since i had smelled the stale smell of urine, at least in that way, in a public space, and it was surprising because the area around the PAM is so well-kept and, possibly, somewhat high-nosed so that one does not necessarily expect that particular odor to happen upon the nose.
The stains on the concrete in the photograph are possibly urine stains, and it was quite clear to me in retrospect that this had been a convenient pee corner, somewhat protected due to the neighboring tree and the fact that traffic on that street is one-way and at an angle where from a vehicle you probably wouldn't see the inverted corner of the building. For whatever reason though, the smell remained with me for a while after i smelled it, though not in smell form, rather, as a strong experience memory capturing the FLUX/FIUX Capacitor moment. In other words, I knew I would clearly remember finding the sign. Perhaps this is because i've been talking so much about scent memory in the rose gardens lately. I think that with strong memories in general we earthlings tend to block out the unpleasant aspects of most experiences. Do you agree?
On a slightly less unpleasant note, that larger green leaf in the 2nd image, and probably some of the others there as well, are from the beautiful elms overhead there. When i finished photographing the FLUX/FIUX Capacitor sign, i crutched across the street westward to catch the streetcar back in the opposite direction I'd been going to eventually head back home. There is a funny sign there under that Elm Heritage that depicts a dog pooping, kind of like this one:
While funny, this sign is not as good as the actual one, so i will try to get a photograph of it next time i'm in that area.
Here's a little bit of a feel for the area and some other photographs of the elm at other times during the year.

2 comments:
That's a nice drawing, but I don't think that person understands what a flux capacitor does.
True dat.
Maybe it's a FIUX Capacitor? I only now noticed that possibility.
The artist also $eem$ to be using the the old dollar $ign $ymbol, which I was hoping to say meant he was operating in the 80s or 90s or something, which is what I previously thought about when the change from one line to two occurred, but as far as I can tell from a cursory search, it is unclear why one or two vertical line$ are u$ed?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_sign#Drawn_with_one_vertical_line_.28.24.29
Post a Comment